Monday, June 23, 2008

The path is cake. The cake is grey.

Over the weekend, friends Adam and Brandy had a joint birthday party. I decided to take advantage of my new kitchen and bake them a cake.

Frosted and decorated:














Adam says "Mess with my cake and I'll cut ya!"



















Wait, what's this?














Oh wow, the colors, man. It's like a unicorn barfed!














I didn't want to make just any cake -- I was going for the fabled rainbow cake (of doom). And now, the "making of" pictures...

The hardware and ingredients:














Batter in the pan:














Just out of the oven:














Overall, it was a huge success for my first attempt at a rainbow cake. The colors turned out exactly how I'd hoped.

The rainbow effect was achieved by pouring each consecutive color into the middle of the cake pan -- red first, going through the rainbow. Each color would compress and displace the previous colors, making the cool banding effect. I stepped down the amount of batter for each color after the first; there was about twice as much red batter as violet.

Mission successful. Now if only I could master the barbecue grill -- I'll give an update in an upcoming blog post.

2 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Hewy Nosleep said...

Happy Birthday to them!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

That's awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home