Sunday, November 13, 2005

Fun weekend ends in tragedy

Okay, "tragedy" is far too strong a word... But after Hillary's excellent birthday weekend, I'm getting a nasty cold. I woke up at 5am with my throat feeling like a spiny anteater was using it as a waterslide. I bundled up and made an early-morning trek out to Wal-Mart to pick up copious amounts of over-the-counter goodness.

Speaking of the weekend, it was pretty great. I got Hillary all the way to Spokane without her having any clue what I was up to (and it was driving her crazy). When she saw the Henry Rollins poster in the box office, she got a huge smile on her face that made all the obfuscation worthwhile.

Henry talked for two and a half hours without taking a breath. He told some hilarious stories ranging from his semi-annual tours with the USO to his take on "Wal-Mart people". The guy is just such an amazing speaker, and you can tell that he's up on stage because that's where he's happy (if Hank is ever happy about anything, which he swears he isn't -- but we know better).

After the show, we started the 90-minute drive back to Sandpoint. It was extremely cold and rainy leaving the theater, but I'd thought ahead and packed a change of clothes for both of us. When the rain turned into huge globs of wet snow, we decided to stop for the night in Post Falls. The desk clerk was awesome and gave us $20 off the room rate because "it's late and snowy". Awesome.

The next morning, we puttered around Coeur d'Alene for a while. There's a little "family fun center" called Triple Play on the highway just north of there, so we stopped and played some miniature golf, air hockey, and DDR. It has been forever since I played DDR, and it showed. I managed to get a hole-in-one on the golf course to make me feel better about it.

We picked up lunch at Del Taco (which I'd never had before -- think Taco Bell, but considerably less hazardous to your health) and headed home. We were flying high after a great weekend, so I guess it's only fitting that I'm now getting sick.

Karma's a bitch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home